Current Casual Vacancies

We currently have five Councillor vacancies, three for the Town Ward, one for Raymond's Hill Ward and one for Weycroft Ward.  If you are passionate about what happens in your local community, and would like to play a part in shaping what happens there, then this role might be for you.  To find out what is involved, ask questions or to have an informal discussion call Miss Hilary Kirkcaldie, the Town Clerk, on 01297 631350 or email her at and she will be happy to tell you more.

What is it?
There are roughly 20,000 local councillors in England. Councillors are elected to the local council to represent their own local community, so they must either live or work in the area.

Each councillor has their own reasons for running but the role offers the chance to make a huge difference to the quality of life for people in your local area. Being an effective councillor requires both commitment and hard work. Councillors have to balance the needs and interests of residents, the political party they represent (if any) and the council.

The councillor’s role centres around community leadership and engagement, responsibilities include:

  • representing the ward for which they are elected
  • decision-making - developing and reviewing council policy
  • scrutinising decisions taken by the councillors on the executive or cabinet
  • regulatory, quasi-judicial and statutory duties
How can I get involved?
Once you’ve decided to get involved and stand as a councillor there are 2 main routes; you can decide to stand for one of the political parties/groups or as an independent.

Representing a political party
If you want to represent a political party then get involved with your party locally as soon as possible. They will advise on what is involved and ultimately select a candidate.

Standing as an independent candidate
If you’re thinking of standing as an independent candidate you can contact your council’s electoral services department. You will need to start becoming aware of issues in your local area; what your local council is doing about these issues; and how your own opinion differs from the political parties.

Getting officially nominated
Whether you’ve been selected by a party or are standing as an independent candidate, you must make sure that you are officially nominated as the election date draws nearer. This means getting 10 people to sign your nomination papers (signatories must be registered electors in the ward where you wish to stand) available from your local council’s democratic services department.

You must also give your consent in writing to your nomination. All the necessary documents must be submitted 19 working days before the day of the election.

For more detailed information please visit the Be a councillor website or download the Be a councillor guide.

There is additional support available to you if you’re disabled and considering standing for elected office. 


Becoming a Councillor

If you're interested but not sure what the role of Town Councillor involves, here is some more general information on what the role is about, the remit of the Council etc. on East Devon District Council's website:  Becoming a Town Councillor

If the role still interests you, the following article from Lyme Online gives you an idea of whether the role is right for you and your lifestyle:  Ten Steps to Becoming a Good Councillor

For the rules surrounding communication by the Town Council during the election period (otherwise known as 'purdah') click here.



Please click here to visit the East Devon Council's elections page.

Please click here to visit Devon County Council's elections page.

Please use the following details to contact our MP, Mr Neil Parish.

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA 

Forthcoming Elections

Content coming soon

Content coming soon